Tuesday, 27 June 2017

National Latin Mass Pilgrimage to Armagh 2017

To mark the 10th Anniversary of Summorum Pontificum the Catholic Heritage Association of Ireland made our second pilgrimage to St. Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh.  A report of the first pilgrimage can be read here.  It was a truly National Pilgrimage with members coming from Antrim, Armagh, Cavan, Clare, Cork, Donegal, Dublin, Galway, Kildare, Limerick, Louth, Meath, Monaghan, Wexford and Wicklow - the Four Provinces of Ireland all represented - to assist at Holy Mass and attend our Annual General Meeting held afterwards in the Synod Hall attached to the Cathedral.

However, one element of the pilgrimage above all made it a most blessed occasion, the presence of His Eminence Seán, Cardinal Brady, Archbishop Emeritus of Armagh, to celebrate the Mass.  In his homily, Cardinal Brady reminded the congregation that the Traditional Latin Mass had been the Mass of his Altar service, of his First Communion and Confirmation, and of his Ordination and his First Mass.  He also reminded us that this day, the feast of St. John the Baptist, was his own feast day.  Cardinal Brady is to attend the Consistory on 28th June with Our Holy Father, Pope Francis.  His Eminence was assisted by Fr. Aidan McCann, C.C., who was ordained in the Cathedral only two years ago.  It was a great privilege and joy for the members and friends of the Catholic Heritage Association to share so many grace-filled associations with Cardinal Brady and Fr. McCann and the Armagh Cathedral community.
















Tuesday, 30 May 2017

Pilgrimage to Loughrea Cathedral 2017

On 27th May last members of the Catholic Heritage Association and friends from far and near made a pilgrimage to St. Brendan's Cathedral, Loughrea, for a Traditional Latin Mass.  I was very struck by the kind hospitality of the Cathedral team and to the gentle reverence of the Liturgy that we joined.

If you haven't been to Loughrea Cathedral - and one of the best things about the Catholic Heritage Association is that we devoutly go where few have gone before - you really should see this magnificent House of God.  While almost all of our Churches - prayers in stone - are in the language of Greece or Rome or the simple words of poverty a few have tried to recapture something that is distinctly Irish.  St. Brendan's is predominantly gothic, which is an imported style, rather than the hiberno-romanesque that may be considered a native by adoption in the earliest days of stone church building, but by a happy combination of circumstances it contains so much fruit of the late nineteenth century Celtic revival.

The foundation stone of the cathedral was laid on October 10, 1897, and took six years to complete. The basic fabric is to the design of William Byrne. The cathedral features stained glass windows from An Túr Gloine, the famous Irish stained glass studio, including Michael Healy's Saint Simeon, Madonna and Child, Saint Anthony and Saint John, St. Joseph, Christ the King, Our Lady Queen of Heaven, The Ascension and The Last Judgement, a Saint Brigid window by Evie Hone, an Annunciation, Agony in the Garden, Resurrection, Baptism in the Jordan, St. Ita, St. Patrick and Centurion of Great Faith, all by Childe. There is also a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary by John Hughes, bronze angels by Michael Shortall and metalwork including communion rails, nave lanterns and stands by William Scott and Michael Shortall. The Stations of the Cross are mosaics by Ethel Rhind. The cathedral was very sensitively reordered with almost nothing removed - except the fine Episcopal Throne now reigning in solitary splendor in the porch under the tower.







Saturday, 22 April 2017

The Early Modern Bishops of Clonfert


The following is taken from Fr. Thomas Walsh's History of the Irish Hierarchy at p. 309-10:

According to de Burgo, bishop of Ossory, Richard Nangle was advanced by King Henry VIII but was superseded by Clement VII. Roland de Burgo was promoted by the bull of this Pontiff in October 1534 and Roland died in 1580 worn out with age and infirmity.

Thaddeus O'Ferrall, a Dominican, was promoted in 1587 to this see in the pontificate of Sixtus V. In his old age he was as anxious as in the spring of life to propagate the Catholic faith for which he undertook much labor. He died at Kinsale in the year 1602.

John Burke translated to Tuam A.D. 1646, Walter Lynch acting as Vicar Apostolic. Walter Lynch, the vicar Apostolic of Tuam, was bishop of Clonfert, a doctor of both laws, civil and canon. He died in exile at Raab in Hungary.

Thaddeus MacKeogh was bishop of Clonfert in 1671, was a Dominican of the abbey of Roscommon. Having finished his studies in Spain at Pampeluna and having preached in his native country during a series of years with great spiritual profit, he went to London during the persecution of Cromwell and remained some months with Ulick de Burgo, marquis of Clanrickard. When promoted to the see of Clonfert he immediately returned and governed his flock sixteen years as a most vigilant pastor and died A.D. 1687, and was buried at Kilcorban.

Maurice Donnellan, bishop in 1698.

Ambrose O'Madden in 1701.

Peter Donnellan bishop in 1742.

Andrew O'Donnellan, coadjutor in 1776, succeeded in 1777, died in 1780.

Philip O'Heily, bishop in 1780.

William Coyle, soadjutor in 1780, succeeded 1781, died in 1787.

Thomas Costello, consecrated in 1787, died in 1831.

Thomas Coen, a dean of Maynooth was bishop of Milevi and coadjutor bishop of Clonfert in 1816. Succeeded in 1831 and died in the summer of 1847.

John Deny having finished his studies at Maynooth as a firstrate student being under age for ordination was appointed junior dean of the college. Subsequently joined the mission of his native diocese and was promoted to the see and consecrated on the 21st of September 1847.

Sunday, 19 February 2017

The Medieval Bishops of Clonfert


The following is taken from Fr. Thomas Walsh's History of the Irish Hierarchy at p. 309-10:

Thomas O'Kelley, a secular priest, was bishop of Clonfert in October, 1347, and died in 1377.

Maurice O'Kelley also a secular priest, was consecrated in 1378 and was translated to the see of Tuam by Pope Boniface IX in 1394.

David Corre, a Franciscan, was provided by the Pope on the 20th of March, 1398.

William O'Cormacain, archbishop of Tuam, having neglected to expedite his bull of translation, it is said through grief, Thomas O'Kelley, a Dominican remarkable for his piety and liberality was bishop of Clonfert in 1415, was translated to Tuam in 1438. He erected the parish church of Cloonkeen into a convent of Franciscans of the third order at the instance of David and John Imulkerill, professors of the order. He died in 1441.

John O'Heyne, a minorite and provincial of the order in Ireland, succeeded by provision of Pope Eugene IV on the 19th of July, 1438, he sat about four years.

Thomas de Burgo, bishop of Clonfert, sat in 1444 and with the consent of his chapter granted the chapel of the Blessed Virgin at Kilcorbain to the friars of St Dominick at the request of John Fitzrery. Pope Eugene IV confirmed the grant on the 12th of March, 1444. This prelate died in 1446 and was buried at Athenry.

Cornelius O'Mulledy or Mullaly, a Franciscan friar, was promoted to the see by Pope Nicholas V on the 22d of May, 1447, and immediately after was translated to the see of Emly.

It seems that John With was bishop of Clonfert as the bull of Pope Nicholas V expressly calls him so when Cornelius was promoted but he resigned voluntarily through his proctor, Cornelius O'Mulledy.

Cornelius O'Cunlis, a Franciscan friar and bishop of Emly, was by the Pope translated to this see in September, 1448. He lived afterwards in Rome A.D. 1469.

Mathew MacCraih was bishop of Clonfert in 1482. He died at the Franciscan convent, Kilbought, in the county of Galway and was buried in Kilcomaing A.D. 1507. He was a man in high esteem for his many virtues.

David de Burgo, a secular priest provided by Pope Julius II, died in 1508, the year after his promotion.

Denis O Moore, called by Ware and Harris a Franciscan, was of the Dominican family and was provided by Pope Julius II in 1509, as appears from the pontifical bull he was a bachelor of divinit.y Ware and Harris affirm that he was living in July, 1518, but it is probable that he lived until the year 1534.